Recently the lovely and talented Hippie Cahier bequeathed the Stylish Blog award to me. Just look at it over there on the side. It’s so sparkly, so pretty, oh so very stylish indeed. I know, I’m snickering a little bit, too. If you know me outside of this blog, then you’re full on chortling because you know I am anything but stylish. Sure I know the Stacy and Clinton basics. The trouser cut is my friend. As are fitted shirts. And pajamas are not synonymous with clothes. I just can’t seem to make clothes into outfits. Or make my hair do the right thing. Like, ever.
So I’m adopting Jonathan Swift’s take on style. “The proper words in the proper places are the true definition of style.” Amen.
The rules of the Stylish Blogger Award are these:
Number One, I get to tell you things about myself that you might not already know. Be warned, the rules do not state that these things have to be interesting and/or useful.
Number Two, I get to bestow the Stylish Blogger award upon some other stylish bloggers. I’ll get back to that part later.
So here we go with the little known facts:
1. I learned how to make balloon animals at a church thing way back when I was in high school. I’ve forgotten how to make most animals, but I can still make a mean balloon dog in about three seconds. Once I made balloon dogs for my whole class, but when they popped my little ones were completely devastated. There was crying. Lots of crying. Lesson learned.
2. I sing the wrong lyrics to every song. This is not an exaggeration. I can’t think of a single song that I know all the right lyrics to. I’m the reason they project the words up on the screen at church. You’d think that would keep me from singing, but really where’s the fun in that?
3. I’m a terrible cook. The quote on my fridge sums it up nicely ”I read recipes the same way I read science fiction-I get to the end and think, well, that’s never going to happen.” I’m an excellent chopper. Salads are my wheelhouse.
4. I love writing. And reading about writing. And dreaming about writing. And talking about writing. And reading about writers talking about writing. You get the point. Tonight at Bible study when Beth Moore went into how the book of Esther is amazing not only for its instruction, but also because of the literary construction, I was all ears. When she started in on how chiastic structure is employed, I almost fainted in my seat! I was scrawling furious notes. Writing about reading the Bible and how the writer created a dynamic literary tapestry-be still my beating heart!
5. And since this is a blog about being stylish, I feel compelled to mention clothing at least once. And what better clothing to denote style than cycling garb? I take delight when the laundry is all done and I have my choice of jerseys and Spandex. My beloved bicycle, The Rocket, is black with bright pink cable casing. She’s a beauty. And like that irritating couple who think it’s cute to dress alike, I can’t help but grin as I pull on my pink and black Fat Cyclist kit, complete with matching arm warmers and socks. Add to that my pink helmet and matching water bottles and The Rocket and I are all sorts of matchy-matchy obnoxiousness. Matching my trusty steed makes me smile. And in my very thin book of style rules, a smile is the best accessory.
Stay tuned for Part 2, wherein I introduce you to some of my stylish blogger gal pals. None of them wear Spandex. Promise.
P.S.-A big thanks to Fatty for making this photo of my brother and I his new blog header. Welcome fellow Team Fatty and friends of Fatty. Can’t wait to see you in Davis!